MISSION STATEMENT OF THE IZAAK WALTON LEAGUE OF AMERICA
To conserve, maintain, protect and restore the soil, forest, water and other natural resources of the United States and other lands; to promote means and opportunities for the education of the public with respect to such resources and their enjoyment and wholesome utilization.
To strive for the purity of water, the clarity of air, and the wise stewardship of the land and its resources; to know the beauty and understanding of nature and the value of wildlife, woodlands and open space; to the preservation of this heritage and to man’s sharing in it.
MISSION STATEMENT OF PROJECT WATERSHED
Project Watershed is dedicated to facilitating water resource education by providing access to programs, equipment, training and a growing volunteer acquired database on the Internet. We help promote a citizenry that is:
- more aware of potential threats to water quality and how to reduce them
- more aware of the process and importance of water monitoring
- motivated to support efforts to achieve optimal water quality in the region’s watersheds
- Project Watershed aims to educate teachers, their students and adult volunteers about water resources by:
- Educating teachers, their students and adults regarding water quality, the watershed concept, nonpoint source pollution and stream monitoring.
- Collecting student/adult acquired steam survey data and facilitating the distribution of this data among participating school groups and agencies responsible for water quality.
- Developing a commitment to sensible stewardship of water resources in the participants’ communities.